I wish to pick up where I left off on the lessons I have learned so far since my accident over 3 months ago.
Lesson 5
Throw out your pride and accept help from others!
More than often, most of us reject offers of assistance. Think about it! How often do your friends and family offer to help you and you tell them, "no thanks!" Lets be completely honest here...this is a pride problem. Sure, we may say, "oh, I don't wish to bother you with my problems", or "you have plenty to do without having to help me with my problem or situation" or "I can handle it, not to worry!" That is all crap and when it boil it down....it is pride that tells people NO!
Sure, there are times when I should say no. For example, if I am out mowing my yard and my best friend comes by and asks if I need help, I would tell him, no. My yard is my responsibility and not his. But, if I have fallen through my ceiling and crushed my heels and am unable to mow, then, this is an appropriate time to say YES!
A perfect example of this happened to me today. A friend send me an email telling me that her 2 kids were very sick and that she and her husband was having a very hard week at work on top of having to stay home with sick kids. My heart immediately said, "They need someone to cook dinner for them tonight....ME!" So I told her I was bringing her dinner. Immediately, in the next email from her came excuses for me not to cook dinner for them. I told her fooey on that, that dinner was coming anyway! She was pretty insistent, but I delivered anyway.
Bottom line: There comes a time when you must dump your pride and accept help from others. I sent out an email asking my friends if they knew of a place where I could purchase fire wood for the winter. A friend called me to tell me he would bring me some fire wood. I told him I was not looking for free fire wood....that did not matter to him. He cut the wood, delivered it and stacked if for me. I was overwhelmed by his help.
Not allowing others to help you robs them of the blessing of helping. Don't be a robber!
Thursday, November 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I completely agree. It is hard to let others help you....especially when you used to be able to do of those things by yourself! I finally had to come to terms that yes, Luke could help me do things, and that yes it was ok! He just needed me to get out of the way!!! So, I guess the Lord does invent ways for us to learn important lessons huh! I guess that's one reason I can thank Him for still being in a boot!
Thanks for making me think again!
Your Footy Friend,
Melissa
Post a Comment