I had a great date night tonight with my wife! We had a wonderful dinner and then went to see Avatar. In the beginning of the movie, you meet a guy (a Marine) who is in a wheelchair for life due to an injury from a war he fought. If you have seen this movie, you know that this guy lies in a pod and in some virtual setup lives out a different life in the body of an Avatar on the planet Pandora. As an Avatar, he is able to run, walk, run, run, run! The first time he does this, he takes off and runs, loving the fact that he has use of legs through this Avatar. I began to cry. I had to take my 3-D glasses off several times to wipe away the tears.
You see, having been in a wheelchair (not as long as this guy), but in one long enough to realize that not having the use of my legs (feet) was devastating. This guy longed for the use of his legs. And I was totally able to relate in a small way.
I want to run again. Right now, I can't. My feet, specifically my right foot will not let me. But, with much less weight to haul around and a body that is in much better shape, I will again run. I will be able to run bases with my son when we play baseball together. I will be able to run when my son grabs my hand and says "run Daddy, run!" He does this now and I have to pull him back and tell him that Daddy can't run like he can.
Continue to pray that I will be able to run. I want this as much as I wanted to walk for the first time, unassisted at Thanksgiving 2008 (and I did, praise God!). I want this! I want this!
I love you!
Russ
Saturday, March 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Dear friend Russ...
I will join with you in prayer AGREEING that one day soon, you and that precious little boy WILL be running and laughing and making awesome memories!
Take it one day at a time, one success NO MATTER HOW GREAT OR SMALL at a time. Lots of folks are praying for you!!!
Your pal,
Debbie Lindley
I hadn't even thought about how that movie would kind of apply to your situation. We have been praying for you and will continue to pray for you. Collier will be so proud when his Daddy does run with him around the bases.
Post a Comment