Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lesson #17

Not everyone will completely understand what you are going through and you should not expect them to.



Actually, this is true for anyone who has experienced life struggles. Unless someone has walked in your shoes, they can't fully understand what you are going through. Yet, they will try in many different ways to understand or to connect with you.

People like to tell me stories of friends, family, themselves and even their pets that have succumb to some kind of accident involving some kind of broken bones in their ankles or feet. Yes, their pets! That one was my favorites. I am not sure how that relates to me, but this person felt they needed to tell me.

The lesson here is that people wish to connect to your difficulty is some way. In many cases, they have not experienced what you have experience. Yet, we should be thankful and patient, knowing that people are expressing their good will and love!

Another lesson here is that we all should be very wise and careful with our words when we are speaking with people who are in the middle of a trial. We all think we have to say something, just one little thing that will let the person know we are thinking of them or that we are very concerned about their situation, yet many times, our words are just not very helpful. I have to admit that many times, things people have said to me have made me feel much worse. And then I am reminded by the Holy Spirit to be patient and kind and to give people the benefit of the doubt!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Deborah Lindley says:

I have no stories to share but I WILL share this with you: the attitude, strength and support the Lord has shown to YOU is showing to everyone! Your accident was horrible - make no mistake about that Russ. BUT HIS grace and mercy has given you an insight on life now that few others have. I am thankful that you have shared your experiences with us all!

No TK this year pal so your physical therapy has until NEXT "TK".....NO ONE my friend...and I do mean NO ONE can play Reuben quite like you!!!!

Whenever I feel like I need to have a huge pity-party for myself, I try to remember you and your testimony right now. Most times, I put the pity party plans up for another time!

Dude...you da best!!!!!!!!
Your pal,
Deborah Lindley

Anonymous said...

Russ

Diana shared your blogg with me and I wanted to let you know we are praying for you during your recovery. Hope to see you and your family some day soon.


Heath Roe