Saturday, December 13, 2008

Lesson #12

Despite the fact that a building has handicap parking, it may not be ADA compliant; not having wheel chair accessibility!


I left the hospital in a wheel chair. For several weeks, I could not put any weight on either foot. That meant that everywhere I went outside of my home, had to be wheel chair accessible.

Case in point: I was out with my family one day and we went to a local place of business to pick up some merchandise we had ordered. We drove up to the front of the building and parked in the handicap parking because we had a permit to do so. Robbie got out and proceeded to get my wheel chair out. I told her to stop! She asked why. I said, look at the front door. She looked and muttered, "You are kidding?" The door had steps leading up to it with no ramp.

So despite the fact that the American Disability Act has been in place for many years, there are many businesses that are not in compliance! People with disabilities deal with this every day of their lives!

2 comments:

The Nelson Family said...

How frustrating! It won't be long and you can just toss that wheelchair to the curb!

Melissa said...

Hey Russ!
Just had to tell you the Doc put me in tennis shoes with major support!!!! I'm so excited I had to shop at Walmart first thing this morning. It still hurts, but it sure does beat having a boot on! You've been an inspiration to me, I knew if you could do it so could I. Guess we are on the road to recovery together!
Thanks Russ!
Melissa Williams