Saturday, December 6, 2008

Side-Bar...I Must Chase A Rabbit!

Day 117



I will have to include what I am about to tell in you my "Things Learned" list. If I don't write about it now, I will forget the details....because I have several things on my list!

Tonight, I was reminded of something that I never wish to forget. I have a better understanding of people who have disabilities. I have a better understanding of what people with disabilities have to go through on a daily basis. Therefore, I wish to never take some one's disability for granted!

Having a disability has proven to me how nice and generous people can be and also how inconsiderate they can be. I have had complete strangers come up to me, asking if I need assistance. In most cases, I tell them "no thank you." But recently, I made a trip to Sam's Club and I over-did it on my feet that morning. I finally made it back to my car and I was in great pain. A stranger walked up to me and asked if he could remove the items from my cart and load them in my car. I said, "Yes, sir, and thank you very much!" I have had doors opened for me and just 100s of simple kind things. It puts a smile on your face!

Unfortunately, there is a flip side of this coin. There are moments when people forget that you have a disability or they just don't take it into consideration. They invite you to an activity and yet provide you with limited opportunity to participate. And when you mention that you can't participate because of limitations, they do nothing to minimize the limitations that could allow you more participation.

This post is not a pity party for me. I just wish to convey to you the frustrations that people with disabilities have to endure. I wish for you (and me) to take into consideration the person and their disability.

I will never forget my time with a disability. It has been good for me. I have learned many things!

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I 100% agree with you. People can be really nice to the disabled or they can be really inconsiderate. I hate to think that I might have been one of those inconsiderate ones at times...but being in a boot for 5 months has totally opened up a new door for me. I think this has taught me to be more aware of my surroundings and to take the time to notice others who might need a little help! God does good things when He teaches us little life lessons huh!