Saturday, August 30, 2008

Full Day With My Family

August 29, 2008
Day 20

What A Wonderful Day!

I had the privilege of spending the day with Robbie and Collier. Actually, this day was the beginning of 5 days of Robbie being home. We spent the morning at home and the afternoon running errands. One of our stops was the DMV (for Arkansans, the Revenue Office) to get a temporary disability tag for our car. I had forgotten it was the end of the month and that the following Monday was a holiday. We walked into a room of people waiting to be served. They were serving customer number 82 and my number was 5. Robbie took Collier out for a spin in the car while I awaited my turn. While sitting there, I saw 2 nurses that cared for me while I was in the hospital. It was good to see them again.

I was able to transfer from my wheelchair to the sofa, then to the floor to play with Collier. What a treat to be on the floor with him.

Later on in the evening, after we put Collier down for night-night, I transferred to the sofa and elevated my feet on the ottoman. Robbie and I ate popcorn and watched some shows we had DVR'd. What a great way to end the day!
------------------------------------------

My feet are getting better and better with each passing day. I can move them more and more without pain. It is a great feeling to be able to lie on my side. It is the little things in life we take for granted and then realize how precious they are when they are taken away!

Lessons Learned Today
  1. Just because a building has a handicap parking spot does not mean the entrance to the building is easily accessible to wheelchairs. We went to pick up some pictures of Collier from the photographer and yes, his building had a handicap parking spot, but steps up to the front door. Needless to say, I had to stay in the car. Bummer! I bet people with disabilities have to deal with this everyday.
  2. 99% of all people will get the door for you when they see you coming in a wheelchair. Most of them will tell you of a time when they were disabled and they were always thankful when others showed them kindness. I will never forget this!

No comments: