Sunday, August 17, 2008

Manage Pain; Reduce Swelling

Sunday, August 10, 2008
Day 2

The Surgeon on call came by to tell me that my situation was bad...so bad that he was going to refer me on to another surgeon....that he could not perform surgery because the damage was so great! This news left me very discouraged. He told us that my right foot may not be fixable. He wanted his partner to look over my x-rays and notes to get his opinion. Therefore, I would see his partner in the morning. I was left with a feeling of despair.

The Orthopedic Surgeon wanted nothing more than to control the swelling and the pain the day after my accident. My feet are elevated and packed down with ice. We spent the previous night working to keep the pain in control and failed terribly!


We tried several methodologies to conquer the pain, yet we failed on every front. All I could do was lie in bed, hold Robbie's hand and cry through each wave of pain. It was intense! I could think of nothing else than the pain signals pulsing through my body. After speaking with my doctors, we came up with a plan that brought relief and by 11pm, we were chatting and smiling again. I was surrounded by so many friends and family.


The world was spinning in my head and every now and then, the words I spoke did not make sense. I am sure it was funny to watch and hear!!


Even more humorous was my first attempts at the use of a portable urinal. You might say, "what is the big deal...point, aim, shoot!" Right? Well, pain + elevated bed + people in your room watching + numb feeling from pain drugs = dribbles, leaks and all out missing the urinal. Needless to say, I had a lot to learn about the use of hospital equipment and doing it on my back at a strange angle! LOL!!

On a more serious note, it is amazing to see God at work throughout my ordeal. People are coming out of the wood-work asking to help, praying for me, sending me cards and emails. I am overwhelmed and humbled by the kindness of all of my friends and family!



What Is This?
The Food Test

Sunday seem to bring out the better side of the lunch crew in the hospital cafeteria. Lunch was pretty good. Yet, breakfast and dinner (I skipped dinner), left little to be desired.
RFCS: 2 out of 5

Do You Hear What I Hear?
The night sounds of Saline Memorial

During the night, I was awakened by screams! It was like the screams you hear from a sci-fi flick where crazy people are locked up at this condemned hospital. The screams were followed by coughing...coughing like that of a person who was trying to cough up a donut filled with sand and grit. I mean, this lady was hacking up not just one lung, but both!

I later learned that lady was in for a broken arm and dementia. Her screaming and coughing was an attempt to get rabbits out of her room! Hospital newbie here (me) no longer had to worry about a leaking portable urinal...I had wet the bed from fright!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you hear me laughing! I almost wet my pants with your visual. That's great.
Sorry though for your pain.
Zabeth

Holloway Family said...

Russ I am so glad that your sense of humor is still around! Our whole family just prays that you will recover quickly. If yall need anything just let us know.

Reece and Sara

Jonathan and Rachel said...

Russ, we have been praying for you since Janet called with the news. I remember some of that pain when my fingers were damaged...I specifically remember asking to doctors to "just knock me out". They would say "we have to run tests", and I would respond with "ok, then do them with me asleep...KNOCK ME OUT!" We pray the doctors see everything clearly and that you begin the healing process as quickly as possible.